For experienced users who already own a Raspberry PI 3 unit (including the newly released RPI3B+), StellarMate OS is a complete software package ready for deployment on your RPI3/RPI3B+. It is provided as an OS Image file (.img) that you can burn to an SD card and fire it up immediately to enjoy the full benefit of StellarMate software stack. The following packages are included in addition to the base OS:
- Astrometry.net with index files.
- StellarMate Web Manager.
- StellarMate Network Manager.
- StellarMate Serial Port Assistant.
- Raspberry PI 3/3B+
- 8GB MicroSD. A 16GB+ Class 10 MicroSD card is highly recommended.
After your purchase, you will receieve a link in the email to download the file. Since the file size is ~2.6 GB, it is highly recommended to use a dedicated download manager to download the file. After you download the file (StellarMateOS_1.3.0.zip), you can verify its integrity by computing its hash. Use Quick Hash GUI to verify the integrity of the image file. The following are MD5 and SHA256 hashes of the zip file:
- MD5: af3e02b6df38ec999eceac5552b484e3
- SHA256: ffd7d621bd53c486228c6f8f7dccf17653c755faae6460be41cd8d3bb89ba3a1
Etcher is a graphical SD card writing tool that works on Mac OS, Linux and Windows, and is the easiest option for most users. Etcher also supports writing images directly from the zip file, without any unzipping required. To write your image with Etcher:
- Download Etcher and install it.
- Connect an SD card reader with the SD card inside.
- Open Etcher and select from your hard drive the StellarMate
.zipfile you want to write to the SD card.
- Select the SD card you wish to write your image to.
- Review your selections and click 'Flash!' to begin writing data to the SD card.
Once the image is burned to the card, insert the microSD card into Raspberry PI3 and power it up.
Note: StellarMate can take up to 2 minutes before switching to HotSpot mode on first startup.
- v1.3.0 Released 2018-06-10
- Added support for RTC (Real Time Clock).
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.3 and KStars 2.9.6
- v1.2.9 Released 2018-04-16
- Fixed compatibitliy issues with Raspberry PI 3B+
- Improved networking stack
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.0 and KStars 2.9.4
- v1.2.8 Released 2018-03-24
- StellarMate OS now comptabile with the newly released Raspberry PI 3B+
- StellarMate Tools updated to provide more fuctionality.
- Direct Ethernet works without any configuration, just Plug & Play!
- Improved web based VNC access with modern interface.
- Faster Boot up time.
- v1.2.7 Release 2018-02-05
- StellarMate Web Manager bug fixes.
- Better Support for GPS dongles.
I would probably give it 4 stars because its a slick tool that can work well. Mount control for go-to and polar alignment and plate solving work well but internal guiding not so much - could use more control to PHD2 - such as launching it. I have the first release but I've been following Kstars/INDI development for 6-8 months and there are still bugs to be ironed out. In spite of that, I've decided to make stellarmate my main tool for astrophotography.Greg Beaton